Due to the unfortunate travesty caused by the recent earthquake in Nepal, a number of telecom and wireless companies have begun to offer free or lowered cheap calls to Nepal from USA and other countries in order to help make it easier for families to check in on loved ones. Below is a list of resources I’ve been compiling of companies that are helping with the cause:
- Skype is making all calls to and from Nepal free of charge.
- Google Voice has dropped its calling rates to Nepal down to 1 cent per minute.
- Viber has made all calls for Nepal users free.
- T-Mobile is waving and crediting all fees for calls and text messages to and from Nepal from April 25th through May 16th.
- O2 UK customers will be credited for calls to Nepalese land lines and mobile phones from April 25th to May 5th.
If anyone knows of any other telecom companies that are offering similar things, please let me know in the comments below and I’ll add them to the list.
Hopefully this list will be helpful to some people in contacting their friends and family in Nepal.